Monday, February 8, 2016

"Reflecting on Reflections: What an experiment with learning logs did for joy" by guest blogger Holly Tower

Hi there;
Here is the third of the guest blog posts from our terrific Fall 2015 Faculty Inquiry Group, a collaboration between college and elementary faculty. This post is by LCSC's Dr. Holly Tower. 
Best,
Rachel

Reflecting on Reflections: What an experiment with learning logs did for joy

        My interest in reflective journals compliments my own teaching mission. As a teacher of preservice teachers I conscientiously model what I say and this learning from “the inside out” helps students determine the value of the theories and methods I present to them and encourages them to be active in finding what works for them as teachers.
        Enter brain journals. This is the name I gave to the idea and desire to use reflective journaling to make the writing in my courses come alive. I had plenty of opportunities to see what my students learned; they took tests, did projects and wrote about them, they were observed with students in field based assignments, but it was harder to see how they learned and what they valued. I wanted them to experience writing as a way of living, thinking, and being. The name Brain Journals is twofold in origin: Writing is a gift for your brain, and Hey, what's in there anyway?
        I toyed with different ways to bring this idea into alignment with my course objectives, and remained firm in my resolve to bring it into all three of my courses. As each course was different, it followed that the Brain Journals would vary between the classes.
        Many of us have our course objectives and outcomes given to us, and I suspect that most of us come into our own objectives and outcomes, our personal course mantra. This is the thing we want our students to leave our class with, that one thing.
       It was in my Teaching of Writing class that I had the most joy with the Brain Journals. A mantra in this course is that teachers can trust their students to develop as writers. If you give students the space and support to write about what is meaningful to them, they will grow as writers, thinkers, and communicators.
     This class wrote at the beginning and end of each meeting. Students were asked to write about whatever they wanted and suggestions related to the reading were offered as possibilities if nothing else came to mind. As students experienced writing on self-selected topics they learned about the power of being writers and the ways of supporting young writers in this way became a passion for them. Students came to class each meeting prepared and excited to write. They were bursting with ideas when they got to class. Their writing was longer than what students in my other two classes (described below) wrote and they continued topics across several class periods. I followed my own advice to them and never wrote on their writing, but each class session included ideas from their own writing that moved the course content forward.
        I had a chance to see who the deep thinkers were. Students who were giving the right answers consistently were not always the best learners. Sometimes the students who did not provide “correct” answers or bring up topics I hoped they would are sometimes the students who are most immersed in the complexities and nuances of what they were learning. It was a great delight to see my students flex their muscles and develop confidence in their skills.
       The second Brain Journal class, The Assessment of Literacy, was focused on literacy assessment. Students are taught how to administer and interpret various informal literacy assessments. My course mantra in this class is to train the students to think like teachers and see each student as a puzzle to be solved. Each week we meet to discuss what happened in each tutoring session, what insight this provided into the student’s reading process, and what the next steps should be.
        With that goal in mind, students were asked to write at the beginning and end of each class period. Students had a prompt on the board waiting for them each time they came to class related to the weeks reading and at the end of class students were asked to write something that they learned in class that day. I allowed about 15 minutes for both and always included a “whatever you want” with each prompt. They might not always do the reading or pay attention in class, but they could always write. I responded to the students in their journals with a quick note to show them that I had read it and I found them to be interesting people.
        The responses in this class were predictable but still valuable to me as an instructor. I always enjoyed reading them. I got a better idea who the skilled readers were. As a formative assessment they were extremely valuable. I knew, each class period, who “got it” and what they learned. I also loved the stories they shared about the students they worked with, their own families, and things happening in other classes. I got much more individual information about who these kids were than any time I had taught this course before.
        The third course that I incorporated Brain Journals in Professional Seminar: Issues in Education, is designed to support students in their first semester of teaching internship and is focused on issues in education. This semester, I chose the issue we would study: Writing. Each seminar student was required to choose a young writer to follow each week and to submit a writing sample of the young writer’s work with a 1 page brief that described how that piece of writing provided insight into the young writer.
        The quality of these one pagers varied. Some students were engaged and others less so, and this was clear in the quality of their insights Many of them were in classrooms where there was very little writing or time provided to write which made the collection of samples and reflection on them difficult. Not all of the students had elected to take a class in the teaching of writing during their coursework and struggled with the whole idea of letting the writer lead. From this I learned that I need to pre-assess and perhaps frontload more. This past semester was the first stab at this structure. I will continue to work on it, and consider carefully how to allow students the room to write about writing in ways that are more meaningful to them.
        It was great to be able to share with all three of the groups my process of discovery while I was purposely looking at my own teaching, trying something new, and seeing how it worked. They saw that being a reflective teacher was not just a requirement of the job, it’s a privilege, a gift, and a joy that not many other professions provide.





No comments:

Post a Comment